Stunty Slam 12

On Saturday 14th September I travelled to my second home of Element Games to enter the 12th Annual Stunty Slam. 





The Rules

The concept is simple; Blood Bowl for Stunty teams only - Halflings, Goblins, Ogres, and Rat-Free Underworld.
Each round, however, had special rules to switch up the matches, adding to the insanity/fun of the games.

ROUND 1: Icy Pitch – Up to 3 GFIs, but direction chosen using throw in template

ROUND 2: Teleporters – 6 teleporters are scattered on the pitch. A player may enter a teleporter and comes out on a random portal

ROUND 3: Play Your Cards Right – Each player gets 3 cards from a deck, with varying dangerous results

ROUND 4: Spuds Check – Fearsome fans make players only enter the end zone on a 2+


The Roster

As the first tournament in my Year of the ‘Fling, King Edgar’s Blue Angry Beavers made their table top debut.





1. Loren Sap Treeman Grab
2. “The Sprout” Treeman Break Tackle
3. “Brick” Cinderhill Hefty Side Step
4. Jaspy “The Hog” Hopeful Diving Tackle
5. Ermin “The Onion” Hopeful Diving Tackle
6. “Cat” Clofwick Catcher
7. Alan “7” Bacon Hopeful
8. “Cap’n” Longweed Hopeful Shadowing*
9. “Priest” Muggins Hopeful
10. “Big Bad” Fildo Hopeful
11. “Comet” Buster Hefty Side Step
12. “Shakebelly” Hopeful
13. “Junior” Hopeful
14. “Flash” Gumpfast Catcher
15. Cobo “Cool” Hopeful

3 Re-Rolls 1 Head Chef 1 Halfling Hotpot
1 Heady Brew 1 Assistant Coach


Each team is TV110 and had 42 points to add skills. Normal Skills cost 6 points, Double Skills cost 8 points. No more than two of the same skill, no more than two additional skills on one player.


*When I wrote the team list I incorrectly assumed that Shadowing was an Agility skill. After sending the list to be checked, and checked again in the first round, it wasn’t flagged up. Thankfully the skill itself was Never successfully used in the game, although it may have indirectly impacted games.

If you played me during this tournament, I shall buy you a beer to help atone for my sins.


I chose the duo of Grab and Break Tackle for my Treemen as it has worked wonders on FUMBBL to get my Treemen into TTM positions.
Side Step is a hangover from my Ogre season. As much as I lamented Snotling fragility, Side Step is such a useful skill. The combination of Side Step and Fend worked well for caging and surrounding loose balls.
Diving Tackle worked twofold
     1. Slowing down Stunty shenanigans
     2. Making them a MASSIVE target
It was by far the most useful skill of the tournament


Round 1 – Barney w/Ogres Special Rules: Icy Pitch





First game of the tournament and it was against my Ogre mentor from last season. After playing to a draw in the Waterbowl season this year, I looked forward to this game.
Barney took 4x Ogres (1x Sure Hands & Block, 1x Block, 1x Tackle, 1x Guard), 9 Snotlings (1x Sure Feet) & Gorgerous George


Gorgerous George 5 5 2 9 200k
Loner, Frenzy, Juggernaut, Mighty Blow, Sure Feet, Thick Skull, Wild Animal


I won the roll for FAME (+2), but lost the roll for Kick Off
(During the tournament I failed to win a single roll for first turn)
After receiving the ball, I did my ‘Safe’ moves and then attempted a block with a Treeman, double Both Downs.
Turn 2, I attempted to pick the ball up…I failed.
Luck wasn’t with me this game, but thankfully it was the only game with bad luck and it was painful for my ‘flings.
The Ogres mangled the wee fellas, filling the KO box at one point, and injuring a Tree in the process.
The Icy Pitch was great fun and also helped slow down the Ogres on a few occasions.
Gorgerous George was a great addition to the tournament, Frenzied Ogres are great fun, and I am thankful that he failed his Wild Animal rolls as often as he did!

As always it was a pleasure facing Barney.

2-1 Loss
0/0/1


Round 2 – Muttley w/Goblins Special Rules: Teleporters



Brushing myself down from the loss, my next opponent was Muttley, one of the old school Waterbowl members. His Goblins included Ripper Bolgrot for a three Big Guy build.
I placed my three teleporters quite close together, and three squares from the halfway line. Muttley placed two close to his halfway line with his final one closer to his end zone. Teleporting tomfooleries were the theme of the first half.

I lost the roll for FAME (+2) and lost the roll for Kick Off
Kicking deep, I was lucky in teleporting Halflings onto the deepest teleporter pad, scoring in the second turn.

And I rode this luck all game. I managed two Blitz! Results on the Kick Off table, with both occasions ending with my player on the landing spot. If I needed a player at a certain spot, he would end up there.

Sometimes Nuffle smiles on us all.

Muttley was ace to play against and I hope to see him on the pitch again.

4-1 Win
1/0/1


Round 3 – Dafo w/Halflings Special Rules: Play Your Cards Right



My opponent for Round 3 was our 3rd match up this year after a drawn game in the league and our Deathbowl game.
Play Your Cards Right was the special rule for this game. I drew three cards from the deck.
I drew:

3-Bloats Amazeballs!
“Play at the start of your turn before any actions have been taken. One of your players has had too many pies and is fatally bloated!

Choose one of your players. At the end of this player’s turn, they will explode! Everyone in an adjacent square must make a roll. On a 4+ the players hit the floor. Make rolls as per Fireball

The exploding player leaves the pitch on a stretcher and my not return unless an apothecary is able to work their magic”


7 -Pie-le On!
“The crowd of paying punters become enraged when they realise their pies are all Tofu Surprised flavoured. In disgust they lunch their pies onto the pitch in protest.

Play at the start of your turn before any actions are taken, OR at the very end of your turn (including if there’s been a turnover)

Choose a side of the pitch. Roll for all players within two squares of the side-lines. On a 5+ the player has been caught in the pie storm and must be placed prone.”


10-Bard Medicine
“A fan of your team claims to be a Bard with a voice so sweet it can actually heal people.

Play at the end of your turn, at the end of a drive, or at halftime. Nominate a Knocked Out player and roll a D6:

6: The player is fully back on their feet and they return to the field of action.
Place the player on a square of your choosing in your End Zone. (This applies even if you have 11 Players on the pitch already.)

4-5: The music works and the player leaves the KO box and enters the Reserves.

2-3: No effect. The player took such a bang on the head that they can barely register the music.

1: The player is so horrified by the histrionic caterwauling that they move to the CAS box


Before the game, Dafo used his card:


5 -Dead Eye
“Play at the start of the drive before the Kick-Off is resolved.

A player with the Throw Teammate skill gains ‘Dead Eye’ for the remainder of the game.
On a TTM roll of 6+the thrown player scatters directly forward 3 times from the throw, and they gain +1 to the landing roll”



This was is a strong card and I was quite worried at first glance.
I was also worried at the roster inclusions of Bertha Bigfist and Big Jobo Hairyfoot. One of these was more useful than the other.

I won the roll for FAME (+2), but lost the roll for Kick Off
I kicked the ball and had an immediate Blitz! result. Again I managed to get onto the landing spot, although it scattered off this time. After a lot of manoeuvring and hitting from both teams, I was lucky to get the ball near the end zone. Dafo had a brain fart moment, moving two players next to the ball carrier and forgetting he had intended to blitz with one of them after the fact. I managed the score to be 1-0 up going into the half.

If I would sum up the second half in one word, the word would be “tense”.  This was one for the purists to say the least. The ball was barely moved, and blocks were performed with the strength a pillow fisted baby.

Big Jobo Hairyfoot was a real pain in the rear, seemingly appearing everywhere on the pitch at once. Dafo also managed a great streak of High/Low rolls. He would break the armour with a nine or ten, and then roll a three or four on the injury roll.

I managed to hold out for the win against a great opponent, and look forward to our inevitable next game in the forthcoming Waterbowl season.

1-0 Win
2/0/1


Round 4 – Jawa w/Halflings Special Rules: Spuds Check



Jawa came into this game on the back of a 15 game undefeated streak in tournaments, his last defeat being in this year’s Waterbowl tournament.His roster included Deeproot, the mighty strength 7 Tree of lore.

Breaking my FAME pattern, we drew the roll. But I lost the roll for Kick Off.

Jawa kicked to me, and my Halflings continued their poor ball handling. The ball was greased up or something, as I failed to move the ball in three or four consecutive turns. This let Jawa steal the ball and attempt to score in Turn 8.

*JAWA DID SCORE HERE. AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SECOND HALF HE REMEMBERED THE SPUDS CHECK, ROLLED, FAILED, AND DISCOUNTED HIS TD*

The second half was more of the same. A lot of slow ball movement and a 3vs2 Treemen battle in the centre of the pitch. I managed to knock loose the ball in Turn 15 and move the ball up to “Cat” Clofwick, my Catcher that was loitering near midfield. The ‘fling ran up the pitch as fast as its wee legs could take it.
My Turn 16 and I need three 2+ rolls to get a winning touchdown…AND I failed the first roll.

This was a hard game. My Treemen were lucky to be on the pitch towards the end.

I wish Jawa all the best and hope he continues his streak at the World Cup

0-0 Draw
2/1/1


Conclusion


Not many people took Re-Rolls, with the non-Halfling players deeming the Chef heavy Meta too risky to spend gold on. I am glad I bought both the Chef and Re-rolls as I burned through them early on with terrible ball handling rolls. My Treemen were great for holding up other Big Guys, and at one point making 2 dodges in the same turn. They were also great for the Take Root rolls, with the Grab Treeman being the only one that rooted each game. But they were useless at hurting players, barely scratching the armour of some players
.
I am very happy with my final position in the tournament. Round 4 came down to two separate 2+ rolls. Jawa failing the ‘Spud Check’ stopped me from going into the half a score down; I failed the first GFI to score the winner in Turn 16.

Congratulations to Edjollyboat for winning the tournament on the deciding GFI race.
Next Year will be mine!




Visit Element Games here (Use the code DAN2300 at Checkout for double points)

For more Blood Bowl action:

Listen to the Two Drunk Flings podcast here

Listen to the Anything But A One podcast here

Listen to the Double Skulls podcast here

Comments

Popular Posts