For Gondor!

Talking about Tolkien 

Recently I've been thinking over the game systems that I have played in the past. One that I enjoyed but didn't commit to was the then named Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game.

I enjoyed it as it had a very cinematic feel to the combat. Not quite Herohammer, but satisfying to watch Gimli cut through swathes of Moria Goblins, or Aragorn take on a Cave Troll.

So with nostalgic memories flooding my mind, and a loose grip on my wallet, I picked up two boxes of Warriors of Minis Tirith.

 

For Gondor!

 

With the rumoured new starter set based around Pelennor Fields, I started re-reading the Return of the King chapters about it. Not wanting the standard Gondor force this quote jumped out at me:

"And so the companies came and were hailed and cheered and passed through the Gate, men of the Outlands marching to defend the City of Gondor in a dark hour; but always too few, always less than hope looked for or need asked.... Hirluin the Fair of the Green Hills from Pinnath Gelin with three hundreds of gallant green-clad men."

-The Return of the King, LoTR Book 5, Ch 1, Minas Tirith

 

Green Gondor?! Has to be based around Pinnath Gelin then!

Now besides knowing that they were lead by Hirluin the Fair, not much information can be found on them.

With the further quote of:

"...horsemen rode eastward to the succour of Éomer: Húrin the Tall Warden of the Keys, and the Lord of Lossarnach, and Hirluin of the Green Hills, and Prince Imrahil the fair with his knights all about him."

-The Return of the King, LoTR Book 5, Ch 6, The Battle of the Pelennor Fields

So dressed in green, from the Green Hills and have horsemen.
I can work with that.

 

Summoning the Force

[caption id="attachment_387" align="alignnone" width="254"]Banner of Pinnath Gelin Banner of Pinnath Gelin[/caption]

 

Now with very little information on the Green Hills of Pinnath Gelin being available, a bit of guesswork needs to be made.

The hills and horsemen almost feel more Rohan than Gondor. No big cities there also reinforces this. I know think that they would be very self reliant. Hunters and farmers more than full on soldiers. So Rangers are a must there, alongside the horsemen.

I also don't think that soldiers in such an area would have full platemail like the Minas Tirith soldiers. I envision them more like the armoured Rohan soldiers.
With great difficulty I am thinking of replacing the greaves with a chainmail, as well as adding a surcoat or cape to some warriors.

Obviously I don't have a legal force. I need at least two heroes to add to my force. Looking at the Damrod and Faramir pack to start with.

After this it will be playing my first game of the Middle Earth SBG!

 

Visit Element Games here (Use the code DAN2300 at Checkout for double points)

Comments

Popular Posts